Brian R. Hall, President of Inter-Ocean Management Ltd., retired as a Director of Johnson & Higgins, and Chairman of Johnson & Higgins (Bermuda) Limited in July 1997. Mr. Hall was responsible for J&H’s Global Captive Management operation. This represented facilities in Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, The Bahamas, the US Virgin Islands, Barbados, Sweden, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Dublin, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Vermont, Hawaii, Colorado, British Columbia, Singapore, and consulting units in New York, London and Tokyo. Anticipating Bermuda’s market for Oyster Consulting’s boutique services, Brian entered into a partnership with Oyster to launch a platform for its services in Bermuda through Oyster Consulting (Bermuda) Ltd, previously Inter-Ocean Management, Ltd.
- A graduate of Saltus Grammar School, Mr. Hall started his career in the Bermuda insurance industry when he joined American International Reinsurance Co. in 1958. In 1969 he founded Inter Ocean Management Ltd., which entered into an association with Johnson & Higgins in l970. Inter Ocean grew to become Bermuda’s largest insurance management company and its business was acquired by Johnson & Higgins in 1979. At this time, Mr. Hall was appointed President of Johnson & Higgins (Bermuda) Ltd., and he subsequently became a Director of Johnson & Higgins in 1989. After his retirement in 1997, Mr. Hall re-established Inter-Ocean Management Ltd.
- Mr. Hall has devoted a great deal of personal time and effort to all aspects of the training and development of Bermudians to help them achieve their full potential in Bermuda commerce. One very visible aspect of this is the Bermuda Foundation for Insurance Studies, which Brian was instrumental in starting in 1996, along with other industry leaders. Under his Chairmanship, BFIS has awarded scholarships to 28 students pursuing degrees in insurance or actuarial science, and over 70 students have been assisted through the BFIS Mentoring Programme, which matches students to insurance professionals and helps them find internships during their vacations.
Education, Accolades and Affiliations
- Named Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, 1998
- Graduate, Harvard Business School International Senior Managers’ Program, 1986
- Fellow, British Institute of Management
- Founder and Trustee Advisor, Bermuda Foundation for Insurance Studies, 1996-present
- Director, RenaissanceRe Holdings Ltd., 1999-2009
- Chairman, Board of Governors of the Bermuda College, 1998
- Chairman, Insurance Advisory Committee of the Bermuda Ministry of Finance, 1985-1998
- Founding President, Bermuda Insurance Managers Association, 1977